Kids love to celebrate – it’s no wonder that birthdays are such special occasions to our youngest family members. This February, there’s yet another reason to have fun by participating in National Children’s Dental Health Month. The American Dental Association (ADA), along with the premier children’s dentist in Commerce City, CO – Dr. Derren Tippets and Dr. Michele Lacy – focus on giving your children healthy teeth that are worth smiling about.
What Is National Children’s Dental Health Month?
Starting in the 1940s in Cleveland, OH, this modest campaign to teach children and families about the importance of oral hygiene quickly expanded to be a nationally recognized health promotion movement. Each year, the ADA selects a theme for the month and makes resources available to dentists, teachers, and children to increase dental awareness. Everything from coloring book pages to stories make the dentist fun for kids this month.
What Are Some Tips I Can Use For My Child’s Dental Health?
The Treasured Teeth team suggests the following helpful hints to make good oral care a priority for your entire family:
• 2×2 – Brush gently for two minutes, twice a day – and be sure to floss when you brush. Play a song on your phone, set a timer, or brush right alongside your children to make sure they use proper technique and don’t swallow toothpaste.
• Eat Healthy – We all know how many sweets are targeted towards our kids, so it’s important to eat nutritious foods to keep mouths happy. Limit sugar (including sweet beverages like fruit juices), and stick to high protein snacks, veggies, or dairy – cheese is especially great to prevent tooth decay that impacts kids. Drink water and eliminate grazing, if you can.
• Make It Fun – Kids can be anxious about the dentist, so it’s crucial to make their experiences positive. Watch cartoons, read stories, and talk about the dentist in an optimistic light. Schedule their first appointment no later than one year old, and focus on making the visit educational and about letting your child get comfortable with the dentist.
• See Your Dentist – See your pediatric dentist in Commerce City, CO at least twice a year for regular exams and cleanings. Our team specializes in dental care for kids – we only treat children. We teach our young patients healthy habits that will make their oral health a priority their entire lives.
• Stop Smoking – If you haven’t already, discontinue smoking and the use of all tobacco products. Not only are these extremely unhealthy for your teeth, tobacco is directly related to oral cancer. Your kids are watching, so be sure to set a good example and keep your smile radiant while you do.
• Be A Good Example –Make sure to model positive behaviors for your children. If you instruct your kids to take good care of your teeth, but you drink soda all day long, skip flossing, and haven’t been to the dentist in ages, kids will pick up on this. Walk your talk, and keep your own smile healthy, too!
Why Treasured Teeth?
With decades of experience, advanced training in pediatric dentistry, and an impressive amount of professional affiliations, Dr. Tippets and Dr. Lacy are the children’s specialist you need. They’ll keep your children healthy and happy, all while providing safe, quality dental care.
Celebrate National Children’s Dental Health Month by scheduling your appointment with Treasured Teeth – we’ll give your son or daughter a smile that will last a lifetime.